Thursday 10 September 2009

Diggaz Love Interviews pt2













The Awakening Dawn

meets Lady Paradox




HI LADY PARADOX, THANKS FOR TAKING TIME OUT FOR THIS INTERVIEW, IT’S APPRECIATED.

1. FOR THOSE THAT ARENT FAMILIAR WITH YOUR WORK, TELL US A BIT ABOUT YOURSELF AND WHAT YOU DO?

I write down stories and speak them over jazzy hip-hop music.

2. HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN WRITING AND WHEN DID YOU FIRST GET INTO HIP HOP?

I’ve been writing poetry since I could write but suppose I put it to hip-hop when I was about fifteen… I’m now twenty-one.

3. DO YOU THINK IT’S MORE OF A CHALLENGE FOR FEMALE HIP HOP ARTISTS TO GAIN RECOGNITION/CREDIT?

I suppose it depends how you define yourself. I don’t necessarily see myself as strictly a ‘female hip-hop artist’… I love hip-hop and I’m influenced by it to a large extent but I wouldn’t say that hip-hop and my gender are the only things that define me.
In a general sense though I suppose it can be harder. I remember being young trying to grab the microphone and all these grown men looking at me like I’m crazy… but once they see you’re genuine it doesn’t matter. Platforms like ‘Female Allstars’ and stuff like that help to empower females in this kind of music so, although it may be a challenge, there’s ways to gain your recognition.

4. WHERE IN THE UK ARE YOU FROM AND WHATS THE SCENE LIKE THERE?

I’m from the wonderful world of Leicester. And I say that non-sarcastically! The live music scene here is real nice and friendly. A couple of real good open mic nights and even open instrument ones too. I was in Nottingham for three years studying and I’d say that’s better for hip-hop… but if live bands are your thing Leicester is the place to be.

5. ARE THERE ANY ARTISTS YOU FIND ARE AN INSPIRATION TO YOU?

Loads! Erykah Badu – I just think she’s so addictive to listen to and watch… plus her lyrics are sweet. Also… a spoken word guy called Polarbear – his stuff is amazing. Search it and check it! It will make you wanna write! I’ll stick with that cause else this interview will get too long!

6. WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE TRACK IN THE LADY PARADOX ARCHIVE, AND WHY?

It changes but for now I’d say ‘New Dawn’ from the new album because I got to collaborate with Benjamin Zephaniah and he’s my childhood legend! Plus… the beat is proper sweet and the singing by Selone adds another layer of pure goodness :0) .

7. HOW DID YOUR COLLABORATION PROJECT COME ABOUT WITH PAT D?

He messaged me on myspace about four years ago saying he liked my stuff and was interested in doing a track together. I checked his page and was instantly hooked. His beats were made for me or something. Then we met up and it just worked real well and ‘Kind Of Peace’ came together.

8. ARE YOU WELL TRAVELLED? AND IF SO, DO YOU THINK THIS HAS AN IMPACT ON YOUR MUSIC?

I’ve been to quite a few places but I suppose I’ve been a typical tourist most of the time and not really experienced the real culture of places. Would love to go travelling but I’m broke! I suppose everything I do/see/feel has an impact on my music so maybe it has! Not sure in what way specifically!

9. IF YOU COULD CHOOSE ANY WORLDWIDE DESTINATION FOR A PROMOTIONAL TOUR, WHERE WOULD IT BE AND WHY?

Definitely Tokyo!! I’ve always wanted to go to Japan and mine and Pat’s joint stuff has done real well over there so maybe people would even turn up to our shows!

10. DO YOU COLLAB WITH INTERNATIONAL ARTISTS, OR DO YOU JUST KEEP IT UK?

I’ve worked with a couple of US artists like Melodiq & Praverb, as well as French producers ‘Fakehunters’ and a Canadian producer called ‘Think Twice’ did a remix of summertime which is out in Japan. There’s more to mention and there will be a couple of international artists on the new album.

11. WHAT PROJECTS ARE YOU WORKING ON CURRENTLY ON AND WITH WHOM?

At the moment I’m working on ‘Soulscapes & Jazz Breaks’ – the new duo project of Pat D and myself. We’re also trying to put a ‘SoulFlow Collective’ together, which will basically be a live band set-up… it’s gonna be good!

12. ON AVERAGE, HOW MUCH OF YOUR TIME IS DEDICATED TO MUSIC?

That’s hard to say! It varies… I go through stages where I have musical days but then maybe don’t write for a couple weeks. My whole life is surrounded by music in the sense I’m constantly listening to it… talking about it and going to see live stuff. But my writing habits are all over the place!

13. WHICH ARTIST WOULD YOU MOST LIKE TO WORK WITH AND WHY?

Erykah Badu because it would sound sweet!!

14. ARE THERE ANY ARTISTS YOU CAN SAY HAVE INFLUENCED YOUR STYLE?

Not specifically… Its crazy cause when I started listening to hip-hop I’d be listening to stuff like Wu-Tang, KRS One and Masta Ace. But I wouldn’t say my style is anything like those artists. Then I listen to stuff like Dennis Brown… Bob Marley… anything that’s good! I think my style just comes from a mixture of all those artists I love.

15. WHICH FEMALE HIP HOP ARTIST DO YOU MOST ADMIRE?

Bahamadia!

16. WHAT CAN WE LOOK FORWARD TO FROM YOU IN THE NEAR FUTURE?

Its all about ‘Soulscapes & Jazz Breaks' this year. . .



17. WHERE DO YOU SEE YOURSELF IDEALLY IN 5 YEARS FROM NOW?

Hopefully twenty-six… healthy… no kids yet. Still writing, performing with a live band and starting a community based project that brings music to young people where they can record and stuff. Yeah!

THANKS FOR SHARING AND LETTING US IN ON THE WORLD OF LADY PARADOX. MJM (MIllennium Jazz Music) IS A DEDICATED FOLLOWER OF YOUR WORK. WE WISH YOU ALL THE BEST FOR YOUR FUTURE ENDEVOURS, AND LOOK FORWARD TO YOUR NEW MATERIAL.

http://www.myspace.com/ladyparadox
A Bridge Too Far Recordings
Soulscapes & Jazz Breaks

No comments:

suggestions

Related Posts with Thumbnails