Wednesday 15 September 2010

Dusted Off pt5: Astrud Gilberto, Cut Chemist, Amy Winehouse & Black Eyed Peas

This evening I began with the music, then I went on to reading up on the talented and very lovely Astrud Gilberto and I was surprised about how much music she's put out over the years. I've Dug out a few LP's in my travels but reading about some of her movements lead me to say a simple "ya damn right", about her receiving the 'Latin Jazz USA Award For Lifetime Achievement' in 1992, then later being added to the 'Latin Jazz Music's Hall Of Fame' only eight years ago (2002). There's is plenty more for you to find on this veteran, like... she recorded her songs in over seven different languages. If that's not impressive I don't know what is...

Anyway, similar to 'Dusted Off pt4' it's all about two of my favorite tracks which were inspired by Astrud Gilberto.

First up we have 'Berimbau' which Cut Chemist went on to sample the vocals from to make 'The Garden' for his 'The Audience Is Listening' LP...





Now we've got Astrud's 'Who Can I Turn To' which Will-I-Am understandably so samples the intro for 'Like That' ft full B.E.P's squad, Cee-Lo, Talib Kweli Q-Tip and John Legend. Don't be surprised if you hear me get some artists for my own version, the track is just asking for it...





Last minute entry, not a favorite like that last two but I can't forget the 1964 classic by Astrud Gilberto and Stan Getz, 'The Girl From Ipenema' which was used for Any Whinehouse's 'Cherry'...



No comments:

suggestions

Related Posts with Thumbnails